Information Technology or “IT” is an exciting and developing industry. Most people equate IT with the Internet, but IT includes technology you use every day including the internet, mobile phones, tablets, social media, computers, email, software, scanners, printers, website development, CD’s and more.
The legal issues involved are numerous and include privacy, defamation, e-commerce, secure online payments, data protection and copyright infringement.
Most businesses use IT in their daily activities, but do you know what you have or who has access to it? We can help you with the legal audit of your business IT requirements. There are a number of issues that may affect you:
- Do you have enough software licences for all your users?
- Are you in breach of your software licence for making copies for home use?
- Do you have leasing arrangements or finance arrangements for your computers, printers and/or photocopiers?
- When was the last time you reviewed the service agreements for your computers, printers and photocopiers?
- Is the information stored on your database or supplied over the internet to you secure and does it comply with the current privacy regulations?
- Do you have disaster back up arrangements?
- Are you a consumer or do you need to consider the rights of your internet users when conducting e-commerce?
- Copyright protection.
- Do you have a social media policy?
- Do you use the Cloud?
E-mail is a convenient and effective communication tool in people’s commercial and private lives. However, the tech savvy habit of being informal in emails and text messages is dangerous. You need to ensure you apply the same protocols that we use for other forms of communication.
The Internet is not immune to defamation and commercial/trade practices litigation. Some companies use back-up tapes to store information from their computer systems including e-mails, other businesses are using the Cloud. Recent litigation has proven that access to e-mails stored on these back-up tapes can make or break a case. Also, the innocent forwarding of the latest ‘blonde joke’ could lead to an harassment claim.
At Bull, Son & Schmidt we can also help you with the drafting, negotiation and execution of your IT Contracts including mobile app licenses, software licences, web site hosting agreements, web site terms and conditions, software development agreements, web site development agreements and escrow agreements.